Thank you Jesus!...and I don't say that in a loose, vain way...I mean just that, Thank You Jesus! This week I've been "covered by grace" as I've officially finished my first full week with my students.
I work as a teacher in the newly named NC Pre-K program, a state funded program targeting at-risk and low income families. The program tries to serve children that are either already identified with some sort of developmental delay or disability, or children that are flagged for possibly having a delay. It also serves children that have never been served in any kind of structured setting. There is a big push this year to hold parents accountable as well, and require them to be working or in school for a number of hours each week which is a great addition in my opinion.
With program changes, backups, and hold ups, there has been a really slow start to assign children to schools, therefore, I only have 10 students right now. Meaning, I'm in ratio by myself, and I'm in the class myself. Now, initially this may not really seem significant to you...but it is. With 10 students that have never been in any kind of structured setting, in a completely new classroom, with new rules (and whats a rule?) new expectations, new peers, new routines, new teachers, new new new new new....well it can be a bit overwhelming, for students and teachers! Think about it...transitioning one new student is a challenge, 15 with two teachers...a challenge, 10 by yourself...BIG challenge.
BUT....like I said, THANK YOU JESUS! What a great week! Something that I thought would end in my frustration, upset kids, questioning parents, and sleepless nights, ended very, very well. I actually must say I REALLY enjoyed it! So, thank you Jesus for the peace of your presence in my classroom. Thank you for patience as my students learn the classroom and expectations, thank you for the sweet moments as I build relationships with each student, thank you for trusting children that feel welcome and safe in the room, thank you for the parents that seem more involved than in years past, thank you for comfort (as my best friend and teacher next door has moved to Boston...Megan), thank you for energy and stamina throughout the day, thank you for eager learners, thank you for support from admins, thank you for nice weather (we love the outdoors), thank you for my 10 wonderful students you've placed in my care, and thank you for the time I have with them to get them transitioned as I wait, hopeful for 8 more...Thank You!
So, what about your week? What are you thankful for?
No comments:
Post a Comment