Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ms. Jena said...

I think the question that every parent asks their child, usually on a daily basis, is..."How was school today?"  Its a question that no one really likes to answer, at any age...yet everyone asks it.  I remember as a student I would hate when the question came up, school is school, what do you want me to tell you?!  (by the way, I still get it now, I should have known when I became a teacher...I'm still in school, therefore someone has to ask "how was school today?" thanks mom!)

So with the understanding that my students are probably getting asked this question at home...I get a little nervous as to what their answer is.  Yes I encourage my children to tell their parents about school, but I can't help to wonder, what does the 4-year old mind choose tell mom and dad about school?  Luckily, most of my parents fess up and tell me what their kids are saying.

Some tell about all the things they are learning, others make up stories about imaginary events, some tattle on their friends, and some try to retell things I've told them. I wish I could remember all the things that my kids have quoted, rather misquoted me on in the last couple years, but kids some how eat away at your brain and the memory cells go first...

Here's a few thoughts I've overheard the kids saying, or they have shared with their parents:

Ms. Jena said...

"You need to rest during play time because if you don't you'll be too tired to play during rest time!"  this seems more accurate to reality sometimes

"I can do whatever I want!" not exactly bud...you can BE a fireman, or whatever you want to be but you can't just DO whatever you want...come on, get it right!

"Tie your shoes so you'll have meat..." or  wipe your face so you'll be neat...(its in a song)

"You need to push your chair under so your friend will fall out of the chair"  ...ummm, not sure about the thought process here...they could fall OVER the chair I guess...

"You can't walk in the class, thats not safe" ....its run, its not safe to RUN in the class...

"quick, throw all the toys away"  this may be how some kids clean up but how about we just PUT them away!

"we can play with plasto!!!! (with much enthusiasm)" hmmmm??? you mean...PLAY-DOH?  that one took some process of elimination


Oh the joys of working with youngsters...I know I tend to mix things up at times, however I usually catch myself and know I've mixed up my words....the best part about what my kids sometimes say, is that to them they are so sure of what they are saying, confident that they are doing exactly what Ms. Jena said....yet somehow I don't end up with kids that "rest up to play during rest time," that "push under their chairs to watch their friends fall out," that "do whatever they want" that "run safely" through the classroom, that "throw away" all their toys, and "tie their shoes to get meat."  Man, what would happen if they interpreted and proclaimed what I actually said....hmmmmmm

Well, like Alan Alda said..."When people are laughing, they're generally not killing each other!" So I guess if I can keep laughing at the things my kids say, then all will be well.

Go out and have a good laugh today...I'll keep you posted on all the "good stuff"

Jena

No comments:

Post a Comment