Summer is over...sad, I know, but its the "season" of the year where everyone gets back into their "normal routine," and so will I. I must say that summer, and what I do during the summer is part of my overall routine, but you know what I mean. So what is my routine that I'm finding my way back to? Well part of it is work. I am a teacher, and so over the last week I have started to get ready for my next class of little ones. I teach some of our youngest learners, 4 year olds, who rival some older kids in their eagerness for information and learning.
When I think about routines in reference to our days together, there literally is a routine for EVERYTHING we do. A routine for coming into the classroom, for going to centers, cleaning up a meal, group time, lining up, cleaning up, reading, going outside, and the list goes on and on. We use routines to make things habit, if we have the kids clean up their area the same way everyday, eventually it becomes a habit (a much desired one) and not just a routine.
So what? Kids need routines, yeah. What about me though. What is my daily routine? What habits am I forming because of my routine? In all honesty, are they good, bad, consistent, inconsistent? I think if I constructively criticize my routines or habits, there is room for improvement. For example, I've got it down when it comes to getting ready in the morning...get out of bed, shower, get ready, etc...improvement comes in not hitting snooze 5 times before I actually get out of bed :-) I'm also in the habit of driving to and from work the same way. But I could probably stand to make it a habit not to be in such a rush or get flustered when the person in front of me isn't...I could in fact make it part of my routine to leave 5 minutes earlier.
But the biggest one for me, the one I need to be ever so consistent in, the routine that shouldn't be compromised...ever. Well thats the one that I think a lot of us struggle with, and its stopping...just stopping...and finding the moment (or several) to have time with God, and rest in His presence. Not just on Sunday morning or Wednesday night, but every single day. And as much as I teach my students routines until they in fact become habit, why can't I (we) live by the same standard. Sure I do it several days in the week, usually when it is "convenient" for me...but thats not how it is supposed to be. I don't teach my kids to wash their hands after coming out of the bathroom so they can do it when its convenient for them...eww, gross....no, I teach them that routine so that is becomes a habit for every time they use the bathroom!
So, in the same way that I hold my kids accountable to the routines we have at school...I'm holding myself, and you, accountable to making it a part of our "normal routine" and a habit, to stop...stop and spend time with God, in the Word, talking with Him, and investing in my relationship with Him...every day.
I'm going to get back into my normal routine...with an added element, how about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment