Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hurry Up Camp!

For the past several years (9 or so) I have worked with Youth Conference Ministries (YCM) at camps during the summer.  Several years I was a camp counselor, I did a couple of years on work crew, I've been an intern, done recreation, but now my claim is summer staff.  If you're not familiar with YCM or "Camp stuff" in general, those titles probably mean nothing to you, and thats okay.  

Basically Summer Staff is a summer long commitment to work at several different Great Escape Camps (middle school) and Fun In The Son camps (high school) all over the east coast, doing any and everything you can.  We help set up and tear down stage and program sets, help run cameras, spots, or slideshows at program, help run rec, help with evening events or aftermaths, and do SECURITY at night to ensure all campers are quiet, safe, and accounted for (this job can get quite exciting!)  Some interesting things happen on security...(stories to come) and I think I'm learning that I don't always understand middle school girls...shocker!

Anyways, I'm in the middle of my 2 off weeks, and while I've thoroughly enjoyed my time off, I am so ready to get back.  

You quickly find that camp staff becomes a family.  You spend 17-20 hours a day with the people working around you, so its hard not to get to know each other.  And like most families, there are countless stories of funny, exciting, embarrassing, and "stupid" moments, and inside jokes.  Moments like falling out of a chair in the middle of the common room (that was me), running into doors and support poles while everyone is watching you (not me...promise), or sitting in a friend's room, eating their snacks, about to talk to them, only to realize your in the wrong room!  Again, not me...I do have several stories though, mostly embarrassing, that I could share.  However, I think I'll leave you hanging and wondering....don't you hate that?!!

For the ones that were there with me, all I have to say is, Cheese Nips and Microphone...the rest of you can just wonder what happened   :-)

But how about this...next time I embarrass myself, or something really funny happens, I'll share it with you...promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment